- Project Leader : Mitamrua Hiromichi (Kyoto University, Graduate School of Informatics)
- Collaborators : Thavee Viputhanumas (Department of Fisheries, Thai, Inland Fisheries Bureau)
- : Boonsong Richaroendham (Department of Fisheries, Thai, Inland Fisheries Bureau)
- : Kobayashi Satoru (Kyoto University, Center For Southeast Asian Studies)
- : Arai Nobuaki (Kyoto University, Field Science Education and Research Center)
- : Mitsunaga Yasushi (Kinki University, Faculty of Agriculture)
Outline of Research
We will develop a sustainable fishery model together with local people at the Kaeng Krachan reservoir in Thailand by proposing the appropriate number of fish to release and recapture for stock enhancement. We will first confirm with government agencies the numbers of Mekong giant catfish currently being released and captured. We will then document fishing gear and methods, and develop improvements with local fishermen. After a period of testing new gear and methods, we will propose appropriate levels of release and capture for optimal stock sustainability.
Across Southeast Asia, people release fish seedlings and engage in aquaculture without knowledge of how to sustain the stock. The Mekong giant catfish is one of the largest freshwater fish in the world, highly endangered, and an important target species for fisheries. The project will establish a sustainable fishery of Mekong giant catfish in Kaeng Krachan Reservoir in Thailand as a model for others to learn from.
Stock management is necessary for the sustainable use of rare species. This study will provide a model of sustainable fishery management to ensure the sustainable consumption of Thailand’s rare great catfish.
In addition to interviews with partners, points of improvement will be sampled together with local fishermen. Through fruitful exchanges, we expect to discover methods in efficient fishing and develop fishing gear. Identifying appropriate numbers of fish will facilitate smooth management of the stock and promote the idea of sustainable fisheries.
A huge Mekong giant catfish with a fisherman. The large catfish was captured using by a small boat at the Kaeng Krachan reservoir, Thailand.
Beautiful sunset at the Kaeng Krachan reservoir, Thailand.